Thursday, March 18, 2010

No more sign seeking

I have sought God today over a many different areas of life. I heard no answer while in prayer but I began listening to Matt Chandlers sermons on Luke from 2007. I first listened to "Skeptics Welcome" while I cleaned my house. When it was over I went to session 2 and did not bother to read the title of the sermon. I had sat down to eat some lunch and was reading along in my Bible when I realized God was speaking to me about one of the subjects I had offered up to Him in prayer.
The sermon is "A Righteous Response to Absurd Promises".
For those who do not know God has promised me a son. He has told me his name and has given me conformation through sources who had no idea what God had promised. His name is to be called Nathan. I have no time line for this promise and the way my reproductive organs are acting I would say not having a baby looks more like reality then God's promise. So in my human nature I beg God for more signs, I question the conformation I have received, and I bitterly shake my fist at God and demand an answer about the timeline for when my promise shall come. But to no avail.
So, today while in prayer for a many things I also included Nathan. When this sermon began I felt no awareness of God's plan to answer any questions that had to do with my prayers. I was only excited to learn something new of God. But when Matt began breaking down the story of Zechariah God quickened me and I realized He was about to speak to me about the promise of Nathan through the sermon. (Luke 1:5-37)
Unfortunately, I realized that my response to God's promise to me was too much like Zechariah's response. And so when the sermon got to the story of Mary and her promise to bare the Christ I listened as God gave me instructions for my promise for Nathan.
Verse 26-37 In the sixth month, God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a town in Galilee, to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendant of David. the virgin's name was Mary. The angel went to her and said, "Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you." Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. But the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God. You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever; his kingdom will never end."
"How will this be," Mary asked the angel, "since I am a virgin?"
The angel answered, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God. Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age, and she who was said to be barren is in her sixth month. For nothing is impossible with God".
God revealed to me that like Zechariah I question God in a manner that said "Prove it, I need more then what your giving me to believe that what you have said is real!" And like Zechariah God disciplined me in that. Today though, God said, "Jennifer, believe the signs I have already given you. Trust me!" He also showed me something I have never really thought about prior to today. Whenever God speaks before hand about a child He is going to give/lend to someone, He almost always gives instructions on what to name the child. So, that truth was even more proof for me that there is a day coming when God, for His name sake and His glory, will lend me His child whom He has named Nathan so I might have the privilege to equip and train for the advancing of God's kingdom. I am so humbled and very sorry for begging God to prove Himself and demanding Him the give me MY son, for MY emotional need, and for MY timing. I realize now that is why I do not have the son already because there had to be a lessened learned about why I am getting this son and for what purpose he will be on loan to me. So now that it's God's son I'm waiting on to be lent to me for God's purpose, timing, and Glory, I will prepare my body with vitamins, pray diligently, and rest in peace! (Even though I'm sure that this revelations will not stifle all attempts of my flesh to rise up in the future, but at least now I have a weapon to combat my flesh when that moment comes.)
And so like Mary I say, "Let it be unto me Lord as you have said."

1 comment:

  1. Your writing is insanely powerful and I pray for you everyday=] I will continue to pray for you and Craig and I will add Nathan to my prayers as well. Miss you so much and I hope to see you so very soon.

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete